Friday, June 12, 2009

Mom Owes me an Apology

I bought my first album when I was 10 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It was vinyl back then, and I bought it in a record store. That's right, a record store. Each album had a round sticker with a letter on it, and you had to look for the letter on a chart to determine the price. The higher the letter, the higher the price. Double albums had higher letters. I think that Sgt. Pepper's was maybe a "G", and it cost between $5 and $6.

My siblings already had multiple copies in the house, but I thought that it was time to start my own collection. I listened to it over and over and over.

We were a much more independent generation back then. I earned money shoveling snow and mowing lawns, and I walked to the record store by myself, and made the purchase myself.

It took Mom maybe a week to discover the album, and when she did, she took it away. "These people sing about drugs," I was told. I didn't know what she was talking about.

The story was that the song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was an ode to LSD, but that long held belief came to an end this week when Julian Lennon announced that the song was really inspired by his good friend, Lucy.

I called Mom in search of an apology. "Don't forget," she said, "they were also getting high with a little help from their friends!"

No comments:

Post a Comment