June 24, 1914 (99 years ago today): The Southern Maryland Agricultural Association broke ground on Prince George's Park - the horse racing venue that would eventually be known as the Bowie Race Track. According to the Baltimore Sun, the land used by the course was previously part of a tobacco farm.
This photograph was taken for the Baltimore Sun on October 6, 1914 during the track's first week in operation. It can be purchased on-line at http://www.tribunephotos.com.
June 16, 1994 (19 years ago today): The Bowie Baysox played their first game at Prince George's Stadium. Memorial Stadium in Baltimore was the home field for the Baysox during their 1993 inaugural season. Due to construction delays at Prince George's Stadium in 1994, the Baysox played early season home games in Frederick, College Park and other locations.