Monday, August 6, 2012

Jersey Mike's Subs Now Open in Hilltop Plaza

I had a late lunch today at Jersey Mike's Subs in Hilltop Plaza.  The restaurant opened August 1st.

My order was made quickly and to my liking, but I didn't care for the customer service experience.

I asked for some advice, and I was told that the most popular item is the #13:  the Original Italian (provolone, ham, prosciuttini, cappacuolo, salami and pepperoni).  The clerk recommended that it be prepared "Mike's Way," which means with onions, lettuce, tomatoes, spices and "The Juice" (red wine vinegar and olive oil blend).  "It will be the best sub that you've ever had," I was told.

I said, "great, I'll have a #13 prepared Mike's Way, but hold the onions."

Another clerk interrupted and said, "sir, I really think you should try it the complete Mike's Way with onions."

I thought that was a strange comment.  I just said, "Thanks, but I don't like onions."  I know - just six simple words, but I was mildly annoyed that I had to say them.

While my sub was being made the Mike's Way sans onions, the first clerk said to me, "sir, I'm really sorry that we have to do this to you!"

So I said, "what?"

And he said, "this sub is going to be so good that you'll be disappointed whenever you eat a sub anywhere else from now on."

Now I know the guy meant well, but I felt like the interaction was scripted.  It wasn't genuine.  Normally I'm pretty chatty in situations like this, but I was just turned off by the conversation. It was also a little bit braggy for my liking. It's one thing to say, "I really think you'll like this," but I just thought this guy was a little over the top.  Over all, I found the staff very attentive, but I was a little turned off by the conversation.

And how was the sub?  I liked it.  The bread was good, but the clerk was wrong.  It wasn't the best sub I've ever had.  It was good, but not the best.  Ha, maybe it needed onions after all.  I'll be back to try some other menu items.  Next time I won't make it such a late lunch, and maybe I'll be less grumpy.

3 comments:

  1. Did he say it with an authentic Jersey accent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, but that would have made the trip more interesting. I could have just written it off as a cultural difference. I would have liked it more if they were humble and asked me to vote them the best sub shop in the world.

      Delete
  2. My wife and I went there recently to check it out. She ordered a Turkey sub and I ordered a Steak n Cheese. We were served quickly, got our food and made it back home. She microwaved hers like she always does and I just dug into mine. It was meh/ok but the roll was so freaking soggy and disgusting. I was so starving that day so I just ate it all (the whole sub). We went back a week later and I ordered the same thing but this time without the lettuce and tomatoes. I mean it was ok. I think as far as steak and cheese are concerned, that place at the Market Place has the "best" in Bowie if you want to call it that. I'm sure we'll go back, but yeah like you said, the kids there behind the counter are a bit childish and the rolls just laying out on the counter was kinda disgusting.

    ReplyDelete