A thunderstorm sparked a fire in the 12300 block of Kembridge Drive in Bowie's Kenilworth neighborhood tonight. The only structure damage appeared to be a shed. Downed power lines prevented firefighters from attacking the blaze, and the shed was left to burn while firefighters waited for crews from BG&E. The exact cause of the fire was not immediately known. Neighbors speculated that the fire was caused be either a direct lightning strike or by the downed power line.
The storm caused several broken tree branches in the "K" and "S" sections, and many residents of the Kenilworth neighborhood were without power.